Followers

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

(2) Introduction to Gif

A "gif" image is an image that is comprised of multiple images. A sort of image slideshow, if you will. Often used to portray a moving object, a scene, etc.

One common use of gif images is to display a scene from a movie, by using screenshots. Often, text or altered images will be used to make this satirical.

Example 1:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Example 2:

Cat listen to headphones

I often attempt to create my own gif images, and photoshop has been a big help in doing so.

Let's see if I am able to successfully upload and post a working gif image onto my blog!

Test 1: Uploading as an image from my desktop...

Fail. It seems that blogger interprets the gif image as a single image, instead of a sequence of different images. Therefore, only the first image is shown.

Test 2: Upload as a video from my desktop...

...Fail?

Just like with youtube, in order to upload a video directly from your desktop, you must select the file and wait for it to fully process. I waited 5 minutes for my 3mb gif file to process (a relatively small size) and it went nowhere.

If I had uploaded a "real" movie clip that was the same size, it would have probably uploaded by then, so I'm going to assume that Blogger doesn't accept gifs as videos.

Test 3: Upload gif to internet, link gif to Blogger...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Success! This seems to be the only way to make a gif work on here. Just upload gif to Tinypic.com as an image, and link it.

No comments:

Post a Comment