Followers

Friday, January 7, 2011

(3) My New Gif

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*


My previous gif was basically taking a large picture of an Asian-esque sunset, and eliminating the erosion in two steps (making three pictures in all).

I used these same images in my latest creation, called Hearts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It's four slides with different colors and text. The text is a lyric in a Modest Mouse song that I really admire. And I thought that this was an interesting way to portray the text, visually and artistically.

Originally the images I used were 1920 by 1080, and so I reduced them to 800 by 500 to reduce the size for this size. Even after a 40% reduction in size, it's still pretty huge!

The original (larger) gif was only 890kb! That's less than 1mb (a third less the size of my first gif from my earlier post!). And when I reduce the size, it's only 202kb! That's 1/5th of 1mb, meaning it's 1/15th the size of the first gif.

Why such a dramatic change in size? Even though my newer gif is huge with bright colors and text, those factors don't dramatically change the size. The slides do.

Think of it this way. Imagine you have 10 images, all of them are simply numbers 1-10.
Now, to set it up as a gif, imagine you're in Powerpoint, and you're creating slides for a slide show.

How many slides do you need to display the numbers 1 through 10 in a slideshow? Just 10.

But what if you wanted something more? Like say, counting up to 10, then back down to 1. That would require 20 slides.

What about counting up to 10, down to 1, up to 5, down to 1, up to 10, then back to 3? 43 slides.

See how we went from 10 slides, to 43? We just quadrupled our size! That's 400%!

***

Now, my first gif used 3 different images, but the slide show was quite long. I repeated images to create a "flash" effect. I ended up with 31 slides.

This new gif with more color? 4.

And so it's appropriately TINY compared to my first one. 31 vs 4. That's quite a difference.

This is why Bluray movies can EASILY be over 10GB in size (that's 10,000mb!). And that's why Bluray costs more. The disc has to be specially formulated to hold that much information. Otherwise High Definition movies would come in pack of 10 DVDs!

No comments:

Post a Comment