ATTENTION

A lot of my content is based on the assumption that you've read the previous posts before.

If this is your first time reading my blog, please look at the Blog Archive and read the posts in order so that everything makes sense.

Thank you.

Followers

Monday, February 21, 2011

The Midterm!

Here are my images from my midterm:





Artist Statement:

My Big Idea is the voice of women. I explored this by using themes of Voice, Self Expression, Perspective, Respect, and Value. I researched this by way of the 3rd blog and the brainstorming assignment. The brainstorming project helped me narrow down my interest to that of the portrayal of women, and how this viewpoint changes over time. The 3rd blog introduced me to the illustrator Justin Maller, and gave me the idea of using a clipping mask to display emotion inside a figure. This subject is important to me because as a guy, I’ve seen the social injustice put upon women through the years, and I have a unique perspective as a male. I wanted to put this perspective into a visual image, and this is what I got. For the first time in this class, I created images by “taking a risk” as William Low puts it, instead of “playing it safe” and sticking by what I thought the image should look like from the beginning. These images are nothing like what I thought they’d look like, and I’m happy about that. It proves to me I was creative in my work.

2 comments:

  1. 1) You did a really good job of making a cohesive picture that most definitely follows the theme. It was filled with a lot of strong emotions and feelings that can be easily seen.

    2)I think it so cool what you did with the statue. I had no idea that was an actual human body so that it is awesome you turned into an actual looking statue.

    Suggestions:

    1) Try playing around with what the statue is sitting on so that way it looks like it is sitting on it and not behind it.

    2) I think it would be cool if you would play around with the exposure of the naked woman in the frame in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the contrast between the statue and the picture on the wall in the first image. The statue makes the woman body look a bit more flawed than people appear it to be. The picture on the wall show the image that everyone assumes a perfect woman body to look like. The contrast there is really strong.
    In the second image I love the swirls in her body. It makes it look like she is nervous or her tummy is turning, you also added the scar on her face to make her look unperfect.
    As compared to your big idea the second image shows woman's voice with the woman at her shoulder looking like she is screaming. In the first image however I am a bit uncertain of the relation to woman's voice, unless you are thinking in terms other than actual voice, which I believe you are. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete